Sermon by Bryan Cook
What Are We in Christ’s church?
Lessons from Ephesians.
- Why would someone want to be part of the church of Christ?
- There are obvious reasons such as a heavenly home and avoiding eternal torment.
- There are reasons we sometimes overlook which are also very important.
- What did the church at Ephesus have in the church? Which is the same that every congregation of God’s people have if they are faithful.
- We are God’s Children Eph. 1:5
- We are adopted as children.
- What an honor to be called the children of the living God.
- God’s people used to be the children of Israel.
- We are part of God’s family 2:19-22
- We are not strangers and foreigners anymore as we once were.
- We will be in the same household, which means we will be treated as family.
- We are the body of Christ. 1:22-23
- We are Jesus’ hands, feet and mouth here on earth.
i. Every instance of the miraculous was to verify what was being said by men.
- Paul on the road to Damascus
- Peter on the day of Pentecost.
- Cornelius was sent Peter.
ii. We go and spread His message.
iii. We go and take care of His people.
- We are not a physical building but a building made of living stones. 1Pet 2:5
i. If things stones are missing you notice.
ii. If stones are missing it is weak.
iii. When we are here we are firming up the congregation.
- Hebrews 10:25 forsake not the assembling.
- Why not forsake? We are to be an encouragement to others
- We are to prefer others over our self.
- If we are at home during worship then how can we be an encouragement to your fellow brethren?
- We are citizens of God’s kingdom. 2:19
- We are fellow citizens with the greatest group of people in the world.
i. People that will love and care for each other for eternity.
ii. A People not steeped in greed and hatred.
- We are part of an everlasting kingdom that will never be taken over by an outside enemy by force.
- There are many more blessed things we are in the church, the body of Christ.
- We have the assurance of an eternal kingdom with God.
- God has provided this blessed institution to be with his fallen people.