They Were Fair to Look Upon.
Gen 6:1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
Gen 6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
- If you look up artist renderings of the sons of God and the daughters of men, you are bound to find male, angelic beings with wings cohorting with fair, human women.
- One would come to think that because the resulting race of people were giants.
- When looking up the terms “sons of God” and “daughters of men” neither come up with an angelic being.
- The “sons of God” were the followers of God and the “daughters of men” were those that were not following God.
- We can see how these followers of God would start to look outside the faithful for a wife.
- Verse 2 states that they saw these daughters and they were fair.
- This was the beginning of the end.
- What was the process that led to the destruction of the world?
- They saw the beauty and attraction of the world.
- They committed themselves to the world.
- God noticed where their commitment was.
- God gave up on them as a people.
- God destroyed them.
- I. THEY SAW THE BEAUTY AND ATTRACTION OF THIS WORLD.
- A. This is a common throughout the Bible.
- Gen 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
- Jos 7:20 And Achan answered Joshua, and said, Indeed I have sinned against the LORD God of Israel, and thus and thus have I done:
Jos 7:21 When I saw among the spoils a goodly Babylonish garment, and two hundred shekels of silver, and a wedge of gold of fifty shekels weight, then I coveted them, and took them; and, behold, they are hid in the earth in the midst of my tent, and the silver under it.
- 2Sa 11:2 And it came to pass in an eveningtide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king’s house: and from the roof he saw a woman washing herself; and the woman was very beautiful to look upon.
- Jas 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
Jas 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
Jas 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Jas 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
- Consider the above example if they had overcome the temptation at the point of seeing that it was fair to look upon.
- Eve saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wisebut she remembered the words of her God and walked away.
- Achan answered Joshua, and said, When I saw among the spoils a goodly Babylonish garment and two hundred shekels of silver, and a wedge of gold of fifty shekels weight, I reminded myself of the words of God not to touch it and left it where it sat.
- And it came to pass in an eveningtide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king’s house: and from the roof he saw a woman washing herself; he immediately turned away not wanting to offend his God.
- This is common today.
- is made to look very attractive.
- According to David Jernigan (multinationalmonitor.org)
- Alcohol companies spend close to $2 billion every year advertising in the United States alone. From 2001 to 2007, they aired more than 2 million television ads and published more than 20,000 magazine advertisements.
- Why are commercials not of those that have consumed the most of their product?
- Why do they not give an award to those that have stayed drunk the longest?
- There are those companies that will buy your car after it hits a certain mileage and give you a new model.
- They do not want us to know.
- As we see these ads and see our friends and family partaking in this we must remind ourselves of God’s words to be sober and not be drunkards, not to be of much wine.
- Clothing or lack thereof.
- General Petraeus was enticed by Paula Broadwell.
- News accounts said that she walked around with her arms uncovered, showing off her toned arms.
- Not saying that bear arms are a problem but I could just imagine Petraeus seeing how fair this woman was.
- Are we visiting beaches in Florida?
- If we find ourselves looking around, it is time to remind yourself of the words of Jesus.
Mat 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
- Ladies are we trying to get attention by our dress?
1Ti 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
1Ti 2:10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
Pro 11:22 As a jewel of gold in a swine’s snout, so is a fair woman which is without discretion.
- Certain jobs.
- Bar tenders tend to make more than the waiters and waitresses.
- Exotic dancers tend to make more money than dancers who have a sense of modesty.
- If we were to work in sales we might make more by being dishonest.
- We see that the money is fair to look upon as long as we are willing to compromise our principles.
- Consider the proverbs:
- Pro 15:16 Better is little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and trouble therewith.
Pro 15:17 Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith.
- Pro 16:8 Better is a little with righteousness than great revenues without right.
- Pro 28:6 Better is the poor that walketh in his uprightness, than he that is perverse in his ways, though he be rich.
- THEY COMMITTED THEMSELVES TO THE WORLD
Gen 6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
- Every example we have from above, we see a commitment.
- Eve took and ate.
- Achan picked up the booty and hid it in his tent.
- David inquired and lay with Bathsheeba.
- James tells us that when lust has conceived it bringeth forth sin. (when we actually act on our desires).
- We think of so many that have been faithful Christians that marry unfaithful men or women that are now no longer faithful.
- No human could ever compare to Samson in strength. No man could bring him down but he saw that the Philistine women were fair and committed himself to her.
- This was the demise of Samson.
- Are we committed to worldly pleasures?
- Are we committed to the bass boat that you are making payments on? The only day I have to use it is on Sunday?
- Travel ball is a major commitment that keeps our kids and the parents on the road on the Lord’s day.
- Are we so committed to our earthly families that we will forsake the assembling with our church family?
- One of the greatest examples we can have on our family is to leave them at the house for a couple of hours. They are more apt to go with us if they know that it is not an option.
- GOD NOTICED WHERE THEIR COMMITMENT WAS.
- A. God knows where your heart is.
- B. When God asked Adam and Eve where they were after eating of the tree, did He not know where they were hiding? To Cain, “where is your brother?”
- C. There are several passages in the New Testament of Jesus knowing their hearts without any words from their lips.
- D. Jesus said
- Mat 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
Mat 6:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
Mat 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
- Rev 3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
Rev 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
- When we decide to commit to something that is not of God’s will, he knows.
- GOD GAVE UP ON THESE PEOPLE.
- A. This is a sad commentary on these people prior to the flood.
- B. They had become so wicked that God repented that he made man.
- C. Psa 81:10 I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.
- Have we ever gotten to a point where you wished you had never met someone? Taken a job? Introduced someone to someone else? Hired someone?
- That is a little taste of what God was going through. His creation had become so bad.
- I remember having a kiddy pool that was never taken of. The kids did not play in it but for a week. There was no chemicals or cleaning. Ended up green with a batch of frogs. I threw the whole thing away.
Psa 81:11 But my people would not hearken to my voice; and Israel would none of me.
Psa 81:12 So I gave them up unto their own hearts’ lust: and they walked in their own counsels.
Psa 81:13 Oh that my people had hearkened unto me, and Israel had walked in my ways!
Psa 81:14 I should soon have subdued their enemies, and turned my hand against their adversaries.
Psa 81:15 The haters of the LORD should have submitted themselves unto him: but their time should have endured for ever.
Psa 81:16 He should have fed them also with the finest of the wheat: and with honey out of the rock should I have satisfied thee.
- One might say that this was only for those in the Old Testament. Not so.
- Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Rom 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Rom 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Rom 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Rom 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
Rom 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
Rom 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
Rom 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
Rom 1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
Rom 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
Rom 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
- 2Th 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
2Th 2:12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
- GOD DESTROYED THEM
- A. This seems so harsh.
- B. How can a loving God destroy his beloved creation?
- C. God cannot cohabitate with sin.
- Isa 6:2 Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.
Isa 6:3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.
- Rev 4:8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.
- God had to turn his back on His own Son on the cross.
Mat 27:45 Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour.
Mat 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
Psa 22:1 To the chief Musician upon Aijeleth Shahar, A Psalm of David. My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
- You may be sitting here thinking I am at the point of destruction.
- God could rightfully destroy your soul.
- The fact that you are sitting in the house of God means there is still hope.
- God’s message of salvation is for you today.
- 2Co 6:1 We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain.
2Co 6:2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)
Quoting Isaiah 49:8
- Heb 3:13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
Heb 3:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
Heb 3:15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
Heb 3:16 For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.
- Just as those followed the word of God by Moses to their freedom, some did not.
- Follow the words of God today.
- If you are committed to the world, commit yourself to God.
- If you are looking at the shimmer and shine of this world, remember God’s words.
- If we are on the broad path to destruction, stop and get back on the path today.