Hey You!!! Download this file below. You will need it.
The Unjust Steward Digging Deeper into the Parable
Hard Verses Episode 4: The Unjust Steward. (Luke 16:1-13) Part 2.
And he said also unto his disciples, There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods. And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship; for thou mayest be no longer steward. Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do? for my lord taketh away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed. I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses. So he called every one of his lord’s debtors unto him, and said unto the first, How much owest thou unto my lord? And he said, An hundred measures of oil. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and sit down quickly, and write fifty. Then said he to another, And how much owest thou? And he said, An hundred measures of wheat. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and write fourscore. And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light. And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations. He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much. If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches? And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man’s, who shall give you that which is your own? No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
Luke 16:1-13 KJV
I have actually had people say there is nothing you can get from this parable and that Jesus would not have said this.
Whoever can come up with a solution to this parable can have a dozen people shoot it down with objections.
Let us look at some of these problems.
- Why did the lord commend the unjust steward for giving away his product?
- Why did the lord commend the unjust steward while he was being dishonest and going behind his back?
- How are the children of the world wiser than the children of light?
- How could Jesus say to make friends of the unrighteous mammon and that this could produce everlasting habitation (Heaven)?
We will be looking at the different elements of the parable in historical and cultural context (See attached PDF, “The Unjust Steward: Digging Deeper into the Parable.”)
The lesson for us today.
- We should be prudent and motivated to us money for an eternal purpose.
- We are to take care of the poor and less fortunate.
- We are to not let money come ahead of serving God.
Call to action.
- Download the pdf “The Unjust Steward.” This is a master’s level paper with peer reviewed sources.
- Website has been updated preacherbryan.com to have a forum and the podcast front and center. Just press play.
- Subscription are slowly being integrated. Let me know if you are not seeing Hard Verses on your favorite player.
- Please, don’t be antisocial.
Facebook- Bryan Cook
Google +- Bryan Cook
Forum on preacherbryan.com