Please, Please, Please share on the social networks. Thank you so much for the support.
Hard Verses Episode 10: Blaspheming the Holy Spirit
Want to thank Ted Burleson. About podcast and the class.
Luk 12:10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven.
How is it that speaking against the Son of God is forgivable but speaking against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven?
If you speak against the Holy Ghost as a child or drunk or out of your mind would this mean you just give up and live like you want because you are eternally lost, no matter what you do?
Let’s look at the parallels.
Luk 12:8 Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God: Luk 12:9 But he that denieth me before men shall be denied before the angels of God. Luk 12:10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven. Luk 12:11 And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say: Luk 12:12 For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.
Mat 12:22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw. Mat 12:23 And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David? Mat 12:24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.Mat 12:25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:Mat 12:26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand? Mat 12:27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges. Mat 12:28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you. Mat 12:29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man’s house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house. Mat 12:30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad. Mat 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. Mat 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come. Mat 12:33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.Mat 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. Mat 12:35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. Mat 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. Mat 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.
Mar 3:22 And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils. Mar 3:23 And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan? Mar 3:24 And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.Mar 3:25 And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand. Mar 3:26 And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end. Mar 3:27 No man can enter into a strong man’s house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house. Mar 3:28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: Mar 3:29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: Mar 3:30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.
- What does it even mean to blaspheme?
Blasphemeo- to vilify, specifically to speak impiously, defame, rail on, revile, speak evil.
- How were they to blaspheme Jesus and still receive forgiveness? Consider Acts chapter 2.
Act 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: Act 2:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: Act 2:24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
Act 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation. Act 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
- How did they revile or speak evil of the Holy Spirit?
They had attributed the power of the Holy Spirit with the power of Satan.
- Are we saying that those Pharisees saying these things are eternally lost? Consider the tense of the word blasphemeth. There is a continual action. If every time you see a miracle of God and attribute that to the work of Satan, there is not much hope for you. Notice Mark 3:29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: Mar 3:30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.
- Consider also that the words of the Holy Spirit that will be spoken through the apostles after the resurrection and ascension. These would be the words of the New Testament, the new covenant. The Christian age. The final age on earth. You miss this, that is it. Notice– Luk 12:10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven. Luk 12:11 And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say: Luk 12:12 For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.
- Consider for us today, Luke talks about confessing Jesus before men and then mentioning the blaspheming of the Holy Spirit. Consider who these people were that had this message. They were Pharisees, Scribes, Doctors of the law (lawyers). They knew the law of Moses. They knew the prophesies about the Messiah, yet they rejected the Messiah outright because of their reprobate heart. Is our heart so lost that we do not see the clear teaching of the gospel?
- To sum up the most prevalent from the evidence about what the blasphemy of the Holy Ghost is, let me sum it up in points.
- This was a spoken sin or sin of the tongue.
- Mark clearly states that Jesus said this because they said , “He has an unclean spirit.”
- We see the Pharisees speaking ill of the power of God performing these miracles.
- Consider Paul who stated that he had been formerly been “a blasphemer, a persecutor…”
1Ti 1:13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.
Notice what Paul’s reaction was when faced with a miraculous event. “This is by the power of Satan.” NO!
Act 9:1 And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest, Act 9:2 And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem. Act 9:3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven: Act 9:4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? Act 9:5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. Act 9:6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do. Act 9:7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man. Act 9:8 And Saul arose from the earth; and when his eyes were opened, he saw no man: but they led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus.
- Can we commit this sin today? Consider these verses. Consider the time frame.
1Jn 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Was this sin ever mentioned in the New Testament church? No.
Now we have the gospel that was set motion because of the blood that was shed on Calvary.
The lesson for us today.
There is a connection for us today.
Is the word confirmed to us today and we are still rejecting it?
Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,Heb 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,Heb 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
Do you understand what the Bible says and you simply are not doing it? You need to recognize what you are doing.
Are we not familiar with the message of the Holy Spirit through the apostles and prophets in the New Testament? We may be speaking against something that you should be adhering to. My mom tells the story of her praying, “I take your name in vain.”
Tools I Used
Student’s Pericope book (I have a copy but it has not been published or printed yet). Let me know if you are interested in getting a copy. My section is placed in the show notes below.
Burton Coffman module in e-sword.
Treasury of Scriptural Knowledge module in e-sword.
Call to action.
Share on social media, THIS EPISODE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE (Imagine a little child at Walmart screaming at you).