Luke 23 <<<<< Download link for PDF
Luke 23 <<<<< Download link for Word document
Luk 23:1 And the whole multitude of them arose, and led him unto Pilate.
Luk 23:2 And they began to accuse him, saying, We found this fellow perverting the nation, and forbidding to give tribute to Caesar, saying that he himself is Christ a King.
Luk 23:3 And Pilate asked him, saying, Art thou the King of the Jews? And he answered him and said, Thou sayest it.
Luk 23:4 Then said Pilate to the chief priests and to the people, I find no fault in this man.
Luk 23:5 And they were the more fierce, saying, He stirreth up the people, teaching throughout all Jewry, beginning from Galilee to this place.
Luk 23:6 When Pilate heard of Galilee, he asked whether the man were a Galilaean.
Luk 23:7 And as soon as he knew that he belonged unto Herod’s jurisdiction, he sent him to Herod, who himself also was at Jerusalem at that time.
Luk 23:8 And when Herod saw Jesus, he was exceeding glad: for he was desirous to see him of a long season, because he had heard many things of him; and he hoped to have seen some miracle done by him.
Luk 23:9 Then he questioned with him in many words; but he answered him nothing.
Luk 23:10 And the chief priests and scribes stood and vehemently accused him.
Luk 23:11 And Herod with his men of war set him at nought, and mocked him, and arrayed him in a gorgeous robe, and sent him again to Pilate.
Luk 23:12 And the same day Pilate and Herod were made friends together: for before they were at enmity between themselves.
Luk 23:13 And Pilate, when he had called together the chief priests and the rulers and the people,
Luk 23:14 Said unto them, Ye have brought this man unto me, as one that perverteth the people: and, behold, I, having examined him before you, have found no fault in this man touching those things whereof ye accuse him:
Luk 23:15 No, nor yet Herod: for I sent you to him; and, lo, nothing worthy of death is done unto him.
Luk 23:16 I will therefore chastise him, and release him.
Luk 23:17 (For of necessity he must release one unto them at the feast.)
Luk 23:18 And they cried out all at once, saying, Away with this man, and release unto us Barabbas:
Luk 23:19 (Who for a certain sedition made in the city, and for murder, was cast into prison.)
Luk 23:20 Pilate therefore, willing to release Jesus, spake again to them.
Luk 23:21 But they cried, saying, Crucify him, crucify him.
Luk 23:22 And he said unto them the third time, Why, what evil hath he done? I have found no cause of death in him: I will therefore chastise him, and let him go.
Luk 23:23 And they were instant with loud voices, requiring that he might be crucified. And the voices of them and of the chief priests prevailed.
Luk 23:24 And Pilate gave sentence that it should be as they required.
Luk 23:25 And he released unto them him that for sedition and murder was cast into prison, whom they had desired; but he delivered Jesus to their will.
Luk 23:26 And as they led him away, they laid hold upon one Simon, a Cyrenian, coming out of the country, and on him they laid the cross, that he might bear it after Jesus.
Luk 23:27 And there followed him a great company of people, and of women, which also bewailed and lamented him.
Luk 23:28 But Jesus turning unto them said, Daughters of Jerusalem, weep not for me, but weep for yourselves, and for your children.
Luk 23:29 For, behold, the days are coming, in the which they shall say, Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bare, and the paps which never gave suck.
Luk 23:30 Then shall they begin to say to the mountains, Fall on us; and to the hills, Cover us.
Luk 23:31 For if they do these things in a green tree, what shall be done in the dry?
Luk 23:32 And there were also two other, malefactors, led with him to be put to death.
Luk 23:33 And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.
Luk 23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.
Luk 23:35 And the people stood beholding. And the rulers also with them derided him, saying, He saved others; let him save himself, if he be Christ, the chosen of God.
Luk 23:36 And the soldiers also mocked him, coming to him, and offering him vinegar,
Luk 23:37 And saying, If thou be the king of the Jews, save thyself.
Luk 23:38 And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.
Luk 23:39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
Luk 23:40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
Luk 23:41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
Luk 23:42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
Luk 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.
Luk 23:44 And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour.
Luk 23:45 And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst.
Luk 23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.
Luk 23:47 Now when the centurion saw what was done, he glorified God, saying, Certainly this was a righteous man.
Luk 23:48 And all the people that came together to that sight, beholding the things which were done, smote their breasts, and returned.
Luk 23:49 And all his acquaintance, and the women that followed him from Galilee, stood afar off, beholding these things.
Luk 23:50 And, behold, there was a man named Joseph, a counsellor; and he was a good man, and a just:
Luk 23:51 (The same had not consented to the counsel and deed of them;) he was of Arimathaea, a city of the Jews: who also himself waited for the kingdom of God.
Luk 23:52 This man went unto Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus.
Luk 23:53 And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid.
Luk 23:54 And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.
Luk 23:55 And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.
Luk 23:56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.
Bible Student Questions (Required)
- Jesus was brought before what man?
- What was the accusation against Jesus to this man?
- What fault did Pilate find in Jesus?
- Why did Pilate send Jesus to Herod?
- Why was Herod glad to see Jesus?
- Who did Herod send Jesus?
- What two leaders were enemies but were made friends during the trials of Jesus?
- What criminal was released for the feast day?
- Who helped carry Jesus’ cross?
- Jesus told the lamenting Daughters of Jerusalem that it would be so bad for Jerusalem that they would wish what to happen?
- Who else accompanied Jesus to Calvary? Where were they placed?
- What prayer did Jesus pray after being crucified?
- What happened to Jesus’ clothes?
- The people around the crucificion stated that if Jesus be the Christ then He should be able to do what?
- What was the difference in the two malefactors with Christ?
- What languages were the superscription “This Is the King of the Jews” written in above the cross?
- When the centurion saw what occurred, what did he conclude?
- Where were all the women that followed Jesus at the time of the crucificion?
- When was there darkness over all the earth?
- Who asked for the body of Jesus?
- Describe the grave of Jesus?
- What did the women do prior to the Sabbath?
Bible Genius Level Questions (Recommended)
- Who comprised the “whole multitude of them” in verse one? Matt. 27:1,2
- Where did Jesus forbid giving to Caesar from verse two?
- What job did Pilate hold? BCC
- How many attempts did Pilate make to set Jesus free?
- Where was Simon, a Cyrenian residing? Pulpit
- Verse 27 speaks of a great company of people and women which bewailed and lamented Him. Where were they during the trial?
- What is so bad that people will want the mountains to fall on them in verse 30?
- Was the prayer in verse 34 effective?
- Who else prayed this prayer?
- Why did they offer Jesus vinegar?
- Verse 43 talks of Jesus and the thief being in paradise that day. Where will they be?
- What did the veil of the temple ripping in two represent?
Impossible Level Questions (Optional. Don’t hurt yourself)
- Why were they to release one prisoner for the feast? BCC
- Who is Barabbas? BCC Pulpit
- What ever happened to Simon of Cyrene? BCC
- Verse 31 states, “For if they do these things in a green tree, what shall be done in the dry?” Please explain. BCC speaking of Farrar.
Master of the King James English.
KJV Short Dictionary Definition (Required) Definition from the Greek (Optional)
- Tribute _____________________________________ ________________________________
- Jewry _____________________________________ ________________________________
- Nought _____________________________________ ________________________________
- Enmity _____________________________________ ________________________________
- Chastise _____________________________________ ________________________________
- Bewailed _____________________________________ ________________________________
- Lamented _____________________________________ ________________________________
- Malefactors _____________________________________ ________________________________
- Raiment _____________________________________ ________________________________
- Christ _____________________________________ ________________________________
- Vinegar _____________________________________ ________________________________
- Railed _____________________________________ ________________________________
- Dost _____________________________________ ________________________________
- Art _____________________________________ ________________________________
- Commend _____________________________________ ________________________________
- Smote _____________________________________ ________________________________
- Sepulchre _____________________________________ ________________________________